[Paraview] The use of paraview's parallel

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Nov 6 11:46:04 EST 2014

To test if paraview is using the entire set of nodes:

* connect the client to the pvserver mpi job,

* open up views->Memory inspector.
You should then see as many processors as their are on the system, plus the
client.

Next create a Sources->Sphere and apply the Filters->Process Id scalars
filter. There should be as many colors on the sphere as there are
processors in the server. Increase the resolution on the sphere source if
you have more than 8 nodes.

* next open up your data file and use the the memory inspector and process
id scalars filters to see how the reader chose to distribute the data. If
it is all loaded on process 1, apply the D3 filter to redistribute it
amongst all ranks.

hope that helps

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.