[Paraview] paraview performance

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 3 14:26:49 EST 2014

The sphere source has a hardcoded limit of 1 million triangles for some
reason .

Plugins/MantaView/VTK/vtkMantaTestSource will generate as many as you want
in parallel. The dataset is kind of nonsensical though, just a long strand
of randomly jittered triangles.

More recently I came up with the attached script that you can tune various
parameters of to get something that more closely represents typical
scientific data. I plan to push it into benchmark.py the next time I have
an opportunity to benchmark ParaView.

The logs do not indicate whether what kind of context the rendering takes
place in. That would be a welcome addition. Until then, follow Burlen's
suggestions and take a look at the VTK level test
vtkRenderingOpenGLCxx-TestFBO which spits out all kinds of useful
information.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer