[Paraview] Naming an existing data array.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Sat May 31 19:47:42 EDT 2014

Burlen,
   Thankyou so much for your quick response. The script works fine. I am a
bit of a ParaView novice when it comes to scripting so thanks for the help!

This problem arose because I was looking at the VTK Parametric Functions
and wondering why they looked so terrible in ParaView and yet there were no
issues displaying them in VTK.
So I wrote an XML plugin and discovered that I couldn't access the scalars
or normals. In the case of normals, for non-orientable surfaces the normals
become really important and they are generated with the surface, so you
need access the data. Paraview can do this if it knows the name of the
dataset.

It turns out that when I wrote vtkParametricFunctionSource (way back in
2003 I think!) I never named the normal or scalar arrays. So I will fix
this, modernise the code and update the documentation in this coming week.

If you are interested, here is a first attempt at the xml plugin. With your
script we get some beautiful results in Paraview. Of course I need to add
in the parameters for all the other surfaces. I have only
done ParametricConicSpiral and ParametricMobius.

First: Use Manage Plugins to import the xml script.
Then:
1) Find ParametricSource in Sources and select a function e.g Mobius,
(Minimum V = -0.2, Maximum V = 0.2) specify a scalar mode and you will get
a very ordinary mobius strip.
2) Apply your script as a programmable filter and select the coloring to be
scalars and you get a beautifully shaded surface.
3) Then apply the Glyph filter using the Normals as vectors and you get a
nice display of the vectors on the surface. Use a scale of (-1,-1,-1) if
you want to invert the normals.

You get some beautiful images.

Regards
   Andrew