[Paraview] Naming an existing data array.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:29:51 EDT 2014

I have a source object that produces a polydata object. Unfortunately the
normals and scalars are unnamed. How do I access these and name them in
ParaView.
I thought something like this may work in a Programmable Filter:

pdi = self.GetPolyDataInput()

pdo =  self.GetPolyDataOutput()

pdi.GetNormals().SetName('Normals')

pdi.GetScalars().SetName('Scalars')

pdo = pdi

However, I can't see the array names.

This sort of thing works Ok in a Python Script:
    # Name the arrays

randomHillsSource.GetOutput().GetPointData().GetNormals().SetName('Normals')

randomHillsSource.GetOutput().GetPointData().GetScalars().SetName('Scalars')
#     pd = randomHillsSource.GetOutput().GetPointData()
#     print pd

Is it possible to do this on ParaView?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew