[Paraview] Cannot compile 4.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with OpenMPI 1.8.1

Victor victor.major at gmail.com
Fri May 30 02:40:35 EDT 2014

Thank you for the fast reply!

I compiled an alternative openmpi-1.8.1 with -fPIC flag (I verified that it
was placed into the Makefile), removed the original Paraview build
directory, modified the Paraview build configuration by rerunning ccmake to
point to the alternative openmpi path, but the error remained.

During Paraview compilation the alternative path for openmpi-1.8.1 is used
until it comes to the linking step where it attempts to link to the system
wide openmpi-1.8.1 location and of course fails.

Linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/libvtkParallelMPI-pv4.1.so
/usr/bin/ld: /opt/openmpi-1.8.1/lib/libmpi_cxx.a(intercepts.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32S against `ompi_mpi_cxx_comm_throw_excptn_fctn' can not be used
when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/opt/openmpi-1.8.1/lib/libmpi_cxx.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/libvtkParallelMPI-pv4.1.so.1] Error 1
make[1]: *** [VTK/Parallel/MPI/CMakeFiles/vtkParallelMPI.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I cannot (will not) overwrite the system wide openmpi as I have a parallel
job running at the moment (CFD simulation) and this node is acting as a
head node serving openmpi from an NFS shared directory. I am confident that
the application will not need to call on openmpi now that it is already
running, but I'd rather not find out that I am wrong.

Thus is there a way to force the Paraview installer to link against an
alternative build that was compiled with -fPIC?

Thanks,

Victor