[Paraview] Vorticity is calculated as zero

Andreas Hessenthaler hessenthaler at mail.de
Wed May 21 09:06:07 EDT 2014

Hi there,

I have the following problem:

When I calculate the vorticity through Filters > Compute Derivatives > Vorticity for a simple example (driven cavity in 2D) with only few elements on an unstructured grid I get the correct values.

Though, when I do the same for a bigger domain, i.e. more elements (~80 000 nodes), I only get zero vorticity values.

The grids and values are all read in from *.vtu files, with the exact same format, meshes are triangluar 2D (z-components set to 0.0).

I can reproduce the behavior on different versions of ParaView: 3.14.1 & 4.1.0 as well as different operating systems: Windows 7 & Ubuntu 14.04.

If I calculate the gradient of the velocity field, all values are calculated as zero as well.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Andreas