[Paraview] how can I produce a line plot from this quasi-1D structured mesh data?

Noah Reddell reddell at uw.edu
Wed May 21 01:01:54 EDT 2014

Hi ParaView users.

I’m creating a utility to convert my 1D, 2D, or 3D high-order finite element data into structured point data for ParaView.  The script is written in Python and I am using the EVTK module’s high-level API,  evtk.hl.gridToVTK().

This EVTK interface requires providing structured x, y, and z coordinates.  For 1D, and 2D data, I set the mesh and data extent in the upper dimension(s) to one node with coordinate zero.  This makes a line or plane, but sort of described in 3D.

This technique works for 2D.  When I load the data set, ParaView switches to 2D camera view and displays my mesh and data.
For my 1D data, nothing is displayed.  The 3D camera view comes up.  I think I can manipulate the view to show me the linear mesh extent, but I can’t display the data.  I actually want to display the data in the ParaView Line Plot mode.  How can I do that?
(I’m using ParaView 4.1 on Mac.)

The attached vts file is an example sinusoid versus x.  You can see in the screenshot that the Tabular view shows the data correctly.  So, I think my script and vtk file are reasonably correct. Of course, the pseudo-3D data representation is sort of a hack I’m trying.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Noah