[Paraview] Compilation with Manta plugin

Wolfram, Phillip J pwolfram at lanl.gov
Fri May 16 22:25:16 EDT 2014

Dear Paraview Users and Developers,

Has anyone recently compiled Paraview from source with the Manta plugin, particularly on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)?

I have successfully compiled Manta, but have the compiler warnings of type:

ld: warning: direct access in ___cxx_global_var_init27 to global weak symbol guard variable for Manta::MantaRTTI<Manta::Texture<float> >::force_initialize means the weak symbol cannot be overridden at runtime. This was likely caused by different translation units being compiled with different visibility settings.
ld: warning: direct access in ___cxx_global_var_init28 to global weak symbol guard variable for Manta::MantaRTTI<Manta::Constant<float> >::init means the weak symbol cannot be overridden at runtime. This was likely caused by different translation units being compiled with different visibility settings.

etc

The executable appears to be working properly, but it is less clear if the Manta ray tracing plugin is working correctly.  For example, it does allow for changing opacity and there are some rendering artifacts.  The benefit is higher quality rendering, but if it doesn't work properly it clearly isn't worth it as you can see below where the OpenGL renderer is on the left and the Manta renderer is on the right.  Notice how there is a patch of red missing near the notch.

[cid:7b2b770f-81ca-409c-af72-19fafee2390b]

I suspect it is a compilation issue because of the warnings but would greatly appreciate any ideas / suggestions from the community.  I may also be using the plugin incorrectly and would appreciate correction too.

Thanks,

Phillip