[Paraview] Rendering bug with UInt8 data

Ethan Hereth e.a.hereth at gmail.com
Wed May 14 09:01:37 EDT 2014

Good day everyone,

I think I have found a bug in the way Paraview renders UInt8 data. I am
writing out an octree structure with some cell data associated with it.
Some of the cell data is Int32 but one set of the cell data is UInt8. If I
export the UInt8 data with any of the other Int32 data Paraview seems to
render the octree as expected. But, if I export ONLY the UInt8 cell data
Paraview's rendering gets messed up; when I open the file everything is
rendered dark black. It should be noted, perhaps, that the 'Volume'
rendering type does seem to work in this case but all others do not and
Paraview does know the range of the data correctly. The VTK cell type is
11/VTK_VOXEL and the files are (p)vtu files. I've seen this behavior in
both Paraview 4.1.0 as well as Paraview 3.98.0.

I can provide a couple files that demonstrate this behavior if necessary.

Thanks for a great product...

Cheers,

--
*Ethan Alan Hereth*