[Paraview] Python Script - access the raw data loaded from a dataset and creating new dataset (UNCLASSIFIED)

Su, Simon M CTR USARMY ARL (US) simon.m.su.ctr at mail.mil
Fri May 9 13:44:45 EDT 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello,

Are there examples python script on accessing the raw data from the data
loaded in paraview from python script?

If I have the data loader selected on ParaView GUI and then I do the
following from the Python Shell,

>>> tt = GetActiveSource()
>>> tt.ElementVariables.Available
['CAUCHY_STRESS2XX', 'CAUCHY_STRESS2YY', 'CAUCHY_STRESS2ZZ',
'CAUCHY_STRESS2XY', 'CAUCHY_STRESS2YZ', 'CAUCHY_STRESS2XZ']

>>> dtt = servermanager.Fetch(tt)
use composite data append
>>> dtt
(vtkMultiBlockDataSet)0x9441c50

How do I get the raw data for 'CAUCHY_STRESS2XX'?

And since I have to fetch the data to the client side, what do I need to do
to the data that I calculated and placed in the data structure that I
created on the client side to make it available to ParaView (for example, I
want to color the Surface using the newly calculated variable).

thanks
-simon