[Paraview] particle tracking on top of unsteady flow solution

Tom-Robin Teschner tomrobin.teschner at yahoo.de
Thu May 8 10:59:50 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am doing particle tracking at the moment and I am visualise my results with paraview. I have a 3D Navier Stokes solver from which I get a CGNS file with the flow solution (for example velocity and vorticity in x, y and z) and I also get csv file where I store position of particles, which i track inside my code.
Now I want to bring them both together, i.e. have an animation of the flowfield (let's say of the x velocity) and on top I want to display the particles at each timestep (so how they move along the flow). the csv file looks something like this (shorten for visualisation):

0.0068 , 0.52500 , 0.005
0.0593 , 0.52510 , 0.005
0.1171 , 0.52542 , 0.005

I have loaded the particles into paraview and then used tabletopoints from the filters but then I get all the particles displayed, instead of getting one particle per timestep. I have tried to use a fourth column for time but I was unable to map that to my animation.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Kind regards,
Tom-Robin Teschner