[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Re: visualise particle paths

Timothy Charles Fagan tcfag1 at student.monash.edu
Thu May 1 10:41:13 EDT 2014

Thanks Ken! that is exactly what I'm looking for.

I've been playing around with it and it works very well when I apply the
filter directly to my data set. But when I try to extract a region and then
apply it, the particles are jumping around causing the pathlines to be
incoherent. I guess that it's reading the wrong particle at the next step.
I've been using the threshold and extract selection filters to get to the
region I need. Is there a better way to look at a section of particles
without this happening? The input data doesn't have a particle key/ID or
anything, which may be some of the problem.

cheers

On 30 April 2014 02:46, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:

>   Try the Temporal Particles To Pathlines filter.
>
>  -Ken
>
>    From: Timothy Charles Fagan <tcfag1 at student.monash.edu>
> Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:59 AM
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Paraview] visualise particle paths
>
>   Yes animating them is no problem. What I would like to see is the path
> that the particles take over time, visualized as a pathline. Visualizing
> the location of a particle at one point in time is not what I'm after,
> which is what I see with the animation...
>

> On 30 April 2014 00:12, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> I am assuming you have a series of these files? Did you try naming them
>> in a way that ParaView recognizes as file series and then animating them?
>>
>>  See this:
>>
>>  http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Loading_Data
>>
>>  -berk
>>

>>  On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Timothy Charles Fagan <
>> tcfag1 at student.monash.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>    Dear Paraview Community,
>>>
>>>  I am trying to visualise pathlines for my particle data. I have a vtk
>>> file with point coordinates as input.
>>>
>>> As an example this is one input file for just three particles. With a
>>> collection of these, is it possible to view the movement of these particles
>>> over time?
>>>
>>> # vtk DataFile Version 4.2
>>> Particle data from file output.0 at time 0 ms
>>> ASCII
>>> DATASET POLYDATA
>>> POINTS 3 double
>>> 0 0 1