[Paraview] Joining / Merging different data sources

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Mar 31 22:15:43 EDT 2014

Hi Ken,

There are 2 options that sound kind of what you're looking for. The first
is the Group Datasets filter which combines data sets into a multiblock
data set. Just highlight the filters that you want to combine before
selecting the Group Datasets filter. The advantage to this is that it is
very cheap memory wise due to shallow-copying of data. It also doesn't have
the requirement that they must be the same original data set or even
contain the same fields.

The second option is to use the Append Datasets filter which turns all of
your grouped data sets into a single unstructured grid and ignores and
point or cell data that doesn't exist in all of the input grids. This has
the advantage that it acts as a single "joined" data set but can be costly
memory-wise, especially if any of your original grids are a structured grid.

Regards,
Andy

ps. Welcome to the mailing list!