[Paraview] Offset between grid and points on spherical projection

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 26 17:05:29 EDT 2014

I don't know why the lighting is different, but here some guesses you can try.

The default resolution for the sphere is quite coarse and results in large facets. The lighting on the large flat facets of the sphere might be quite different than the smaller facets of the grid. Try increasing the resolution of the sphere.

The sphere source comes with normals on the points whereas your grid might not. That could result in different lighting equations. You could try running the generate surface normals on your grid (assuming it is poly data). That's assuming that your grid is not a clipped sphere, which could result in inconsistent normals as the edge.

It could be that the sphere is using specular highlighting whereas the colored mesh is not. Try turning off specular highlighting on the sphere (under the display properties).

-Ken