[Paraview] XYZ format in PV

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jun 24 12:55:57 EDT 2014

It looks like the XYZ format could use a little love in ParaView. There are two XYZ readers in ParaView, and they both seem to have problems.

The first reader is labeled a "XYZ Files" and is actually one of the readers of the VisIt bridge. It works OK except that it does not handle time.

The second reader is labeled "XMol Molecule Files". That uses the vtkXYZMolReader class in VTK. The reader as many more features including time support (in a really outdated way), but there appears to be a bug that is causing it to crash all the time: http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=14203

-Ken