[Paraview] How to run ParaView in parallel

Victor victor.major at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 21:55:14 EDT 2014

I have compiled ParaView with MPI support, searched the internet, looked at
examples and I cannot get it to work.

I tried to run it with the following methods:

1. "Use multicore" setting within the GUI. I set it at 6 and got this
during startup

AutoMPI: SUCCESS: command is:
 "/opt/openmpi-1.8.1/bin/mpiexec" "-np" "6"
"/usr/local/lib/paraview-4.1/pvserver" "--server-port=45024"
AutoMPI: starting process server
-------------- server output --------------
Waiting for client...
AutoMPI: server successfully started.

It looks normal.

2. Start pvserver with "mpirun -np 6 pvserver" and connect the client
manually:

Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://consilience-ssd:11111
Accepting connection(s): consilience-ssd:11111
Client connected.

It looks normal.

The problem is that the output does not look normal. I am trying to display
CFD external flow simulation data using a Slice filter and instead of a
correct visualization of the flow I get a spotty field as per the image
attached. I am also attaching the PV ProcessID screenshot.

What do I need to do to make ParaView render in parallel and deliver
correct visualization results?

Thanks,

Victor