[Paraview] Memory explosion and strange behaviour -- Linux -- 'clip' -- 360 MB file needs 60 GB ??

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jun 17 08:21:48 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,

It is actually relatively easy to achieve what you are after. You need two
parallel pipelines:

- Surface -> Clip
- Slice

You need to link the plane widget of the Clip and Slice filters such that
they are identical.

Note that although this is visually identical to clipping with a plane,
under the covers the outputs are significantly different. This approach
produces only the outer shell and is memory efficient. Whereas the clip
filter extracts all the cells inside the clip domain and is useful for
further process (calculating volume for example).

It is possible to make Clip for structured data more memory efficient by
converting only a minimal subset of the output to unstructured data and
keeping the rest structured. However, it is decent amount of work to write
such a filter and the above solution should be sufficient for most people.

Does this make sense?

-berk