[Paraview] Memory explosion and strange behaviour -- Linux -- 'clip' -- 360 MB file needs 60 GB ??

Brian Corrie bcorrie at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 10 12:41:31 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I have one question regarding this conversation, as I have run into this
issue before. It intrigues me as to why one can't clip a structured data
set efficiently.

http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2012-December/026976.html

The question I have is - does clip REALLY require all that memory - in
my case it was a structured grid of 698x693x665 growing to in excess of
20 GB (see the question on the list above). That seems pretty excessive
given the original size of the data set... I haven't done the math on
the data set size of an unstructured data set, but 320MB to 20GB is a
pretty big step.

Assuming one does need 20GB of memory for an unstructured data set of
this size (making it impractical to use clip), is there not an
implementation of clip that can run on structured data. This seems like
a common operation that one would want to perform, and therefore seems
like something that would be worth implementing for structured data.

I find a clip on a volume to be extremely useful, as you can slice
through a plane in the data and see the internal structure of the data
set at the clip plane location. This is a very useful exploratory
capability. Slice just doesn't cut it (pun intended 8-) from this
perspective...

Thanks for the interesting discussion, this one has intrigued (and
frustrated) me for some time. I would think implementing clip on
structured data would be possible (probably simpler than on unstructured
data) and would be quite a useful tool for exploratory analysis of large
gridded data sets... Am I missing something - Is there a reason why such
a thing doesn't exist?

Brian