[Paraview] paraview & HDF5/XDMF: how to control memory usage?

Thomas Engels thomas.engels at mailbox.tu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 9 16:27:48 EDT 2014

Hi, All.

I'm an using paraview for quite some time now, in conjunction with HDF5
and XDMF (the XMF descriptor is generated "manually", i.e. not by the
XDMF library tool)

Everything is working smoothly for small enough datasets; I have several
time steps and several quantities per time step, they all appear as desired.

Now, my question is whether I can influence the way paraview loads this
data from HDD into memory. It seems to me that not only paraview loads
all quantities of a given time step into memory, even if this is
currently unnecessary, because some quantities are not used yet. It also
tries to load data from several time steps. The latter is a big problem
for me, since right now I have to create one XMF file per time step,
load it, and so on, as opposed to just have all time steps in one XMF
file and use paraviews forward/backward buttons, if my data is too big.

Regards
Thomas