[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Memory explosion and strange behavior -- Linux -- 'clip' -- 360 MB file needs 60 GB ??

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 2 13:11:21 EDT 2014

Not replying to your specific questions below, but ... you have some pretty large data here!  It is amazing how a fairly small cell count on the edge of your data (for instance X axis) can become huge when you add a Y axis and Z axis.

You have about 375 million cells.  If you were able to volume render that on a local server, one machine, I believe you have the world's record!  Wow.

Generally speaking, I sort of tell people that anything around thousands of cells is a toy, a million is real data (and you should start thinking about using a cluster for a back end), and a billion is hero size and you want some heavy iron to deal with it.  Tens of billions, and especially trillions, pushes state of the art.  If you are volume rendering, divide any of these numbers by 10.

By the way, exascale will be in the trillions of cells.  Some of the greatest minds in the world are still trying to figure out how to visualize data of this size.

Alan