[Paraview] Building Piston

KESTENER Pierre pierre.kestener at cea.fr
Fri Jul 25 19:07:00 EDT 2014

Hello Praveen,

I faced the same problem as you when trying to build Piston standalone sources today.

you probably have found out by now, but just to let other people know, piston standalone must be configured like this

ccmake -DCUDA_NVCC_FLAGS=" -gencode=arch=compute_30,code=sm_30 -DTHRUST_DEVICE_BACKEND=THRUST_DEVICE_BACKEND_CUDA" ..

this is because THRUST_DEVICE_BACKEND is unset by default that error like

    error: invalid redeclaration of type name "float3"

raises from piston_math.h

So for paraview point of view, piston_math.h must be either modified or parsed with
 THRUST_DEVICE_BACKEND=THRUST_DEVICE_BACKEND_CUDA

I also noticed that thrust interface used in piston standalone is quite old
thrust::detail::default_device_space_tag must be replaced by thrust::device_space_tag

to build, but it is deprecated. I think that someone more skilled than me in thrust details could refresh a bit piston sources.

At least, it working with these small changes.

Pierre.