[Paraview] trouble with paraview.simple.AssignLookupTable

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Mon Feb 24 16:29:20 EST 2014

I have a user that is trying to assign a custom color map in Python.  How is this done?  I tried the trace recorder, but it doesn't show this action/command.  Mu user's note is below:

Thanks,

Alan

Hello,

I am trying to use paraview.simple python interface to assign a custom color map, but I can't seem to get it to work with even the default color maps.  For example

>>> AssignLookupTable("nodal_eqps", "Warm")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Applications/paraview.app/Contents/Python/paraview/simple.py", line 770, in AssignLookupTable
    return _GetLUTReaderInstance().GetLUT(arrayObject, LUTName, rangeOveride)
  File "/Applications/paraview.app/Contents/Python/paraview/lookuptable.py", line 234, in GetLUT
    range = self.__GetRange(aArray,aRangeOveride)
  File "/Applications/paraview.app/Contents/Python/paraview/lookuptable.py", line 301, in __GetRange
    nComps = aArray.GetNumberOfComponents()
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'GetNumberOfComponents'

I have been looking at

http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/py-doc/_modules/paraview/simple.html#AssignLookupTable

and it appears I need to pass "AssignLookupTable" an "arrayObject".  The "arrayname" called "nodal_eqps" works fine with "GetLookupTableForArray", but I don't know how to create an "arrayObject" from this "arrayname".

Thanks for any help you can lend.