[Paraview] Multi-core custom applications

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 10 14:57:31 EST 2014

for me every run is different, sometimes I want to use 2 cores others I
want to use 16. my thinking is that we need a way to set the number of
cores before the server starts up. It sounds like others are
encountering situations where they need to tweak the startup parameters
as well.  and why not just make use of the existing infrastructure for
specifying those run parameters? The connect to mechanism isn't just for
remote servers, also works fine for local ones, and it's easy to add
dialog entries for parameters by pvsc. Perhaps the multicore just starts
the connect to process at the pvsc dialog, based on a baked in multicore
pvsc, which could potentially be configured during the build/install?
Also internally, for example in the memory inspector, we currently need
to handle the multicore server differently than any other server (it's
actually currently broken for multicore because of this). even though
it's really no different than any other server, at least judging from
the command line displayed in the terminal.