[Paraview] Data updates in Paraview+MPI

jlih jlih at masonlive.gmu.edu
Mon Dec 1 11:03:51 EST 2014

Dear all,

I am using the Paraview with MPI enabled to visualize a NetCDF dataset and need some suggestions on developing the following application.

If I want to modify the NetCDF array based on the data values from another numpy array (not in NetCDF format), do I need to store the numpy array in a NetCDF in every computing node with MPI installed?   The dimensions of the numpy array are not the same as the NetCDF array (e.g., numpy 2*2*2; NetCDF 4*4*4, one element from the numpy array corresponds to 8 elements in the NetCDF array ).

Also, the numpy array is updated during the interactive manipulation of the view.  Whenever the view changes (e.g., zoom), the values are updated.  If I store the numpy array as files, I am not sure how much communication overhead will be introduced. Is it possible to store the numpy array in memory and update the array on the fly? I'm not sure how the shared memory works in this case..

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jing