[Paraview] ParaView can't create the reader

Bruno Santos bruno.santos at bluecape.com.pt
Tue Aug 12 11:36:44 EDT 2014

First of all, your English looks pretty good!

OK, let's see if I can address all of the issues:

 1. Make sure you downloaded the 3 files that were needed for installing
    Qt 4.8.2, namely the file "qt-win64-opensource-4.8.2-vs2008.exe" and
    the two associated "*.bin" files. The 3 files should be placed in
    the same folder before running the installer.
 2. In CMake, define the variable "QT_MAKE_EXECUTABLE" to use the path
    "C:/Qt/4.8.2_x64/bin/qmake.exe" (adjust accordingly if necessary)
    and then click on "Configure" once again. Hopefully it will now pick
    up everything related to Qt.
     1. Mmm... still regarding this point, if you in fact gave the
        correct path, it might not work properly if the Qt installation
        is somehow incomplete. This happened to me when I tried to
        configure the project with CMake, while I was still midway of
        the installation of Qt.
     2. Furthermore, there was a detail I forgot to write on the wiki
        page, but when using MSVC 2008 Express, by default it does not
        provide the ability to compile 64-bit applications. Instructions
        on how to do so can be found online, for example here:
        https://github.com/enGits/engrid/wiki/Configure-Microsoft-Visual-Studio-2008-Express-to-also-build-for-Windows-x64
     3. And there is yet another import detail: when you configure the
        project in CMake's GUI for the first time, it asks you which
        compiler to use. Make sure you pick "Visual Studio 9 2008
        Win64". If you pick the standard non-Win64, it's natural that
        the 64-bit "qmake.exe" is incompatible with the 32-bit Visual
        Studio build options.
 3. Regarding the files you've provided in attachment:
     1. The XML looks OK. I only have some experience with creating
        these types of XML file, so I'm not yet able to point out any
        major flaws without looking into ParaView's own XML
        filter/reader files. The complete XML file I'm referring to is
        in the folder
        "ParaViewCore\ServerManager\SMApplication\Resources" in
        ParaView's source code.
     2. The "CMakeLists.txt" looks OK as well, but again, I don't have
        enough experience on this. Only by trial and error would I be
        able to see if your file is working properly.
     3. I suggest that you first try building the plug-in
        "vtkPOFFReader", just to confirm if you have a working building
        environment. This way it'll be easier to isolate the origin of
        any problems.
 4. "I have Visual C++ Express 2008 on my computer so is it normal to
    get this message ?"*/
    /*
      * Yes, it's normal. It happens to me as well and it works without
        any problems.
 5. Due to how ParaView was built in this case, I think it's best to use
    Qt 4.8.2 (namely with the respective architecture), just in case. I
    say this because there are a lot of library dependencies that are
    automatically configured and it might get a bit complicated to push
    aside the existing dependencies on Qt.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Best regards,
Bruno