[Paraview] viewing Gadget2 simulations

Tim Haines thaines at astro.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 13 23:00:52 EDT 2013

Hi, George.

I had noticed the visit bridge subsystem while perusing the codebase,
but I wasn't sure if it was used or not. I have it working now, but I
made a small modification to the Cosmo Gadget reader that really makes
things very nice. By changing the tag attribute from the particle ID to
the particle type (i.e., dark matter, gas, stars, etc.) I am able to use
the threshold mechanism to show only the particle types I want. I have
attached an example image showing only the disk stars from the
simulation output I provided previously. Once I add gas to my
simulations, I can then use the tag to colorize the particles to further
distinguish gas and stars. This isn't possible to do with the visit
bridge as it does not store the mass (or if it does, it does not show it
as a colorization value).

This change really only works because I can ignore the particle IDs as
my particles are not split across multiple input files, so it's not
really a production-ready solution to getting Gadget visualizations into
ParaView.

Let me know if I can be of any help with testing ParaView changes with
Gadget data.

Many thanks for all of your help.

- Tim

P.S. An oddity I noticed between the Cosmo Gadget reader and the Visit
Bridge one is that the Visit Bridge reader expects the Gadget2
"enhanced" snapshot format (i.e., SnapFormat=2), but expects the file
extension '.gadget'. While the Cosmo Reader uses the old Gadget format
(i.e., SnapFormat=1), but expects the file extension '.gadget2'. It's
only a small wart, though!