[Paraview] horrible slow performance -- I must be doing something very wrong

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Tue Oct 29 20:16:29 EDT 2013

Hello
I am running paraview in client-server mode.  I start the client on my desktop, run pvserver in parallel with four instances and connect my client to the "ringleader" pvserver through an ssh tunnel.  The data is a 512x512x512 rectilinear grid in Miranda format.
I open my data and attempt to render a simple picture of my data and it is so slow I'm going to kill myself.  Maybe one frame every 5 or 10 seconds.  I'm imagining that the geometry is being shipped to my client, and the client is doing the rendering, but I don't know that.
Am I doing some basic thing wrong?  How can I get reasonable performance?
Thanks

--
✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory