[Paraview] Problems reading 2nd order mixed meshes in xdmf format

Jason Fleming jason.fleming at seahorsecoastal.com
Mon Oct 21 15:34:58 EDT 2013

Hello Dominik

It looks like maybe you haven't provided enough information to Paraview
about your Topology. You've set the TopologyType to Mixed, but this is for
a mixture of elements of different types, whereas you actually only have
one single element of a single type.

Looking at xdmf.org, it looks like the value "Tet_10" is available for
TopologyType. Is this value appropriate for you? I took your example xml
and changed Mixed to Tet_10 and was then able to load the file into
Paraview.

Cheers
Jason

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> I have received no feedback to my question. Did I overlook something
> obvious and it means that there are better / more popular formats for
> such datasets supported by ParaView?
>
> Regards,
> Dominik
>
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am unable to load the following trivial (one second order tet
> > element) into Paraview. I would be very glad for some pointers how to
> > fix it...
> >
> > Regards
> > Dominik
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> > <Xdmf>
> > <Domain Name="Unnamed">
> > <Grid Name="Mesh">
> >
> > <Geometry GeometryType="XYZ">
> >   <DataItem Format="XML" Dimensions="10 3">
> >     0.0 0.0 0.0
> >     1.0 0.0 0.0
> >     0.0 1.0 0.0
> >     0.0 0.0 1.0
> > 0.5 0.0 0.0
> > 0.5 0.5 0.0
> > 0.0 0.5 0.0
> > 0.0 0.0 0.5
> > 0.5 0.0 0.5
> > 0.0 0.5 0.5
> >   </DataItem>
> > </Geometry>
> >
> > <Topology TopologyType="Mixed" NumberOfElements="1" >
> >   <DataItem Format="XML" DataType="Int" Dimensions="11">
> >     26   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> >   </DataItem>
> > </Topology>
> >
> > </Grid>
> > </Domain>
> > </Xdmf>

Dr. Jason G. Fleming
Chief Engineer, Seahorse Coastal Consulting
3103 Mandy Ln
Morehead City, NC 28557
Tel: (252) 726-6323
Mobile: (252) 269-0962