[Paraview] Please help to understand the live mode of Catalyst

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Oct 21 14:03:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

The Catalyst live mode is still beta functionality. The client does connect
to the Catalyst enabled simulation directly. You have to keep in mind that
there's a pipeline on the server and a separate pipeline on the client.
Essentially the pipeline on the client uses the requested filter output
from the server and uses that as the source. The pipeline on the server
branches of the 'catalyst:' server (instead of the eyeball it will have a
circle with an intersecting triangle on the left). You can click on that
icon to download that data to your client. You should be able to add in
other filters on the Catalyst server by selecting the desired filter to
chain off of in the Pipeline Browser and then choosing the desired filter
in the menu.

If I remember correctly, the initial pipeline helps set up the environment
on the Catalyst server to work with. For big simulations, you wouldn't want
to download the full data set to the client anyway.

Regards,
Andy