[Paraview] Save data

Daniel Bruno danielbruno at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 10:37:37 EDT 2013

Hello all.

I'd like to automate the generation of a time series plot of wave elevation
in a given station from a 2D numerical wave tank model. For that I create a
contour for water volume fraction associated to 0.5 value. With this
ParaView shows the wave profile for the whole tank. As my goal is to track
the wave elevation in one given longitudinal (x direction) station, I apply
a slice filter to the previous contour line created. This slice filter
creates a point so that I can take the y coordinate value along time and,
in the end I got my wave elevation tracking.

The problem I'm facing is when I want to export CSV data for the slice
element using "File -> Save Data". Paraview exports not only data for my
slice (the only element that interests me) but for all other elements in
the pipeline.

It should be no problem if at least the pipeline sequence was followed when
exporting data. I mean, my slice is always the last element in the pipeline
but is not always the last one in the sequence of exported files. If the
sequence was followed I could create a script to delete the files I don't
need, but the way ParaView exports data cannot provide me control over this.

Other drawback of this approach is that Paraview wastes time generating
files that will be discarded.

I'd like to know if there is a way to export data only for a specific
pipeline element.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards,

Daniel.