[Paraview] Volumetric slice with transparency?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 26 13:18:04 EST 2013

As with many things in ParaView, there are lots of ways to do what you are
asking, each with a slightly different behavior. I'll list through the
ones I can think of.

* Like Utkarsh said, if your data is structured, you can use the "Extract
Subset" filter. This will be the most efficient option, but the UI will be
pretty crummy.

* Also like Utkarsh said, you can use a pair of clip filters (instead of
slice) to grab a reason. Use the Inside Out option on one of the clip
filters so that the intersection of the half spaces become a slab.

* You can change the Clip Type of the clip to a Box region. This will
allow you clip a slab in one operation. The disadvantage is that the box
clip operation can introduce more artifacts than a Plane clip. Also, you
need to make sure the clip is Inside Out.

* You should also try the Extract Cells By Region filter in place of the
clip filter. Rather than cutting up cells, it will keep full cells that
intersect a region you specify. Like Clip, Extract Cells By Region allows
you to define cells by planes and boxes (although the inside/outside
semantics are reversed). I suspect the Extract Cells By Region filter with
a Box intersection will be the closest to what you want.

-Ken