[Paraview] x3d geometry export garbled?

Cook, Rich cook47 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 18 19:50:20 EST 2013

Hi,
I have been trying to get paraview to play nice with blender.  Specifically, I'd like to export an x3d file which blender will draw nicely.
I was able to do so from a dataset when reading the data locally, but to do so requires some awful contortions.  I have to export the data first from VisIt as a set of VTK files, then read those in with paraview, then export as x3d, so blender imports them as a set of objects, and it is difficult to color all those pieces in blender.  So I'd like to have a more direct way to do this.
What happens in parallel is that if I "Export Scene" of a contour that looks like this in paraview:
[cid:FB539EBB-675C-4338-B214-3752ABFBE96A at llnl.gov]

The resulting x3d object displays like this in blender:

[cid:4F3D56D0-1FF0-43D3-9998-55AB8328CEA4 at llnl.gov]

I believe that this means that Paraview is exporting the data out of order.  But there may be ambiguity in some specification.  Can someone help with this?
Thanks!

--
✐Richard Cook
✇ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory