[Paraview] d3 poor domain decomposition

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri May 10 17:06:07 EDT 2013

Burlen, Ken, List

The D3 filter will partition each block independently.  This means that each process will have a small region in each partition, which will be spread throughout the dataset.
<

This is my own experience too.

Question: What would you like to see in the output

1)      Existing behaviour, each block is partitioned separately, previous multiblock structure is preserved

2)      All blocks partitioned as a single block, no multiblock structure in the output

3)      All blocks partitioned as a single block, multiblock structure from input regenerated based on a block Id assigned to each cell prior to partitioning.

The reason I ask is because I'm working on a new partitioning class and I have not yet handled multi-block datasets and I wonder what ought to be done in this case. 3) seems ideal, but is a bit harder and might use some intermediate memory that would be undesireable.

JB