[Paraview] Parallel Scalability

Dr. Olaf Ippisch olaf.ippisch at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 25 10:46:00 EDT 2013

Dear Paraview developers and users,

I tried to run paraview in parallel using a python script. I compiled a
server including OpenMPI support and support for MESA off-screen
rendering and started the server using mpirun. The I connected from a
python script (see attachment). I could see that there are two threads
both taking 100% CPU time. However, there was absolutely no speed-up.
The runtime using two processors was completely the some. The data sets
were rather large (about 100 million unknowns in 3D, 512 x 512 x 405).
The result looked like the result with one process, but the time needed
was also the same. I am sure that I am making some error either in the
setup or I am missing something in the python program. Do you have any
suggestions?

Best regards,
Olaf Ippisch

--