[Paraview] Inaccurate results with Probe filter

Tony McDaniel tonymcdaniel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 12:16:21 EDT 2013

I'm using the Probe Location filter to extract data from a 3D CFD
solution for an internal flow, and I'm not getting the data that I
should be for some (but not all) of the points. The dataset is
approximately 7 million nodes saved in Ensight format.

I'm comparing the data returned by Paraview to the data at the same
locations in FieldView. For licensing reasons, I would prefer to use
Paraview for this research, but I also need accurate solutions.

For two representative probe locations, I have the following results:
x       y       z       pv_density  fv_density  pv_pressure fv_pressure
0.3912    -0.0376    -0.0566    0.9040      0.9040        67779.9
67779.9
0.3912    -0.0426    -0.0516    0.8275      0.8623        65849.0
66176.3

The first point matches precisely between Paraview and FieldView.
However, the second point is substantially different. In addition, the
velocity at point two is {0,0,0} indicating that the point is on the
boundary, though it is not actually.

Looking at color plots in Paraview, the color under the point location
clearly matches the numbers from FieldView. I've uploaded plots showing
pressure in the plane containing the two locations here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/744216/probe1.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/744216/probe2.png

The values are wrong for points that are close to the boundary, and
match FieldView for points away from the boundary. I have also tried
importing the locations from a CSV file and using the Resample Dataset
and get the same values.

Can anyone shed light on why this is happening?