[Paraview] paraview installation error

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Mar 12 07:58:07 EDT 2013

These look like two separate issues to me.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Pradeep Jha <
pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> I am trying to install Paraview on a supercomputer with OSMesa support. I
> have installed OSMesa and everything else required and set my
> configurations according to this page<http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Parallel_Rendering#Offscreen_Software_Rendering_via_OSMesa>in the cmake file.
>
> The only thing is I cannot find the libGLU.so on the computer. To install
> the libGLU, when I use the rpm file, I get the following output:

> [k00603 at fe01p08 HH-1298]$rpm2cpio
> /home/hp120242/k00603/distfiles/HH-1298/mesa-libGLU-6.5.1-7.10.el5.x86_64.rpm
> | cpio -id
> cpio: ./usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1 not created: newer or same age version exists
> cpio: ./usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.060501 not created: newer or same age
> version exists
> 1026 blocks

> When I did:
> [k00603 at fe01p09 ~]$locate libGLU
> /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
> /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.060501
> /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1
> /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.060501
>  ----------------------------------------------------
> so I set the "OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY" environment to "/usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1"
> and generate the Makefile using Cmake.

That seems like it should be fine. The RPM is just telling you that you
already have a GLU.
FWIW: Personally I've always just downloaded Mesa source and built it
myself locally rather than using the package manager to install it for
everyone. Doing so I'm sure to use the libGLU that comes with mesa.

After this when I run the "make" command, I am getting the following error:

> [ 87%] Built target vtkRenderingMatplotlibCS
> [ 88%] Built target vtkPVServerManagerRenderingCS
> [ 89%] Built target vtkRenderingLODCS
> [ 90%] Built target vtkPVServerManagerDefaultCS
> Linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/
> libvtkPVServerManagerApplication-pv3.98.so<http://libvtkpvservermanagerapplication-pv3.98.so/>
> CMakeFiles/vtkPVServerManagerApplication.dir/vtkInitializationHelper.cxx.o:
> In function `PARAVIEW_CSSTREAMS_INITIALIZE(vtkClientServerInterpreter*)':
> vtkInitializationHelper.cxx:(.text+0x355): undefined reference to
> `vtkFiltersParallelMPICS_Initialize'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [lib/libvtkPVServerManagerApplication-pv3.98.so.1] Error 1
> make[1]: ***
> [ParaViewCore/ServerManager/SMApplication/CMakeFiles/vtkPVServerManagerApplication.dir/all]
> Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

This error is entirely different and doesn't have anything to do with Mesa.
It is saying that the vtk library vtkFiltersParallelMPI isn't right. Are
you using an external VTK by any chance, and one without MPI turned on in
cmake? If so, don't. The ability to use an external VTK, rather than the
one that comes inside VTK is still brand new in ParaView 3.98. If not, can
you send me the CMakeCache.txt in you build tree? I might be able to spot
what is wrong from that.