[Paraview] Temporal Particles to Pathlines: No Pathlines!

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 16:58:54 EST 2013

Dear Paraview Support Community,

I am a new paraview user and am very impressed by the software. I am using
version 3.98.1 64-bit on Mac OS 10.7.5.

My input data is a field of velocity vectors in vtk format.
I am trying to create an animation of particle trajectories with "trails"
showing where the particles have been. I have deduced that the proper
filter is ParticleTracer in combination with TemporalParticlesToPathlines.
You can see my full pipeline in the attached screenshot.

Everything seems to be working: the particle positions are calculated
correctly by ParticleTracer, and they are passed through to
the TemporalParticlesToPathlines filter. I can see the particle positions,
and they evolve correctly with time. But I can't see the pathlines. I have
put very high numbers in max step length and max step distance in order to
be sure that the lines get drawn, but still I see nothing.

The screenshot shows my pipeline along with the output of
the TemporalParticlesToPathlines filter, with the particles colored by
InjectionStepID. As you can see, there are no pathlines.

I would really appreciate the advice of anyone who has experience with
this. I am going crazy trying to figure out what's wrong.

Best Regards,
Ryan Abernathey

[image: Inline image 1]