[Paraview] Why is pvbatch displaying images?

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Mar 6 10:06:54 EST 2013

May be my (very) short experience with pvserver and OSMesa can help... I've just
build a config without any error messages.
I've  downloaded Mesa-7.11.2 and ParaView-3.98.1 sources. (see "[Paraview] Using
paraview with pvserver" thread on this list)

1) build of Mesa-7.11.2 with:
./configure --with-driver=osmesa --prefix=/share/apps/paraView-server-3.98.1
make
make install

2) build paraview with:
mkdir ParaView-3.98.1-build
cd ParaView-3.98.1-build
ccmake28 -D PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI:BOOL=OFF -D VTK_USE_X:BOOL=OFF -D
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA:BOOL=ON /home/makerpm/PARAVIEW/ParaView-3.98.1-source

and set
  PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI = OFF
  OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR = /share/apps/paraView-server-3.98.1/include
  OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY =
  OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY = /share/apps/paraView-server-3.98.1/lib/libGLU.so
  VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA = ON
  OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR = /share/apps/paraView-server-3.98.1/include
  OSMESA_LIBRARY = /share/apps/paraView-server-3.98.1/lib/libOSMesa.so
  VTK_USE_X = OFF
  PARAVIEW_USE_MPI=ON

make
make install

It is important to set OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY empty.

Patrick

Pradeep Jha wrote:
> just wondering, when I was making OSMesa, it gave me the following message
> during "configure":

> Project MESSAGE: Disabling video due the lack of GLib/Gio/GStreamer
>
> is it ok? Or do I need to do something about it?
>

> 2013/3/6 David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com
> <mailto:dave.demarle at kitware.com>>
>
>     See the cmake config settings for pure offscreen rendering configuration
>     of pvserver in:
>     http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Parallel_Rendering#Offscreen_Software_Rendering_via_OSMesa
>
>     David E DeMarle
>     Kitware, Inc.
>     R&D Engineer
>     21 Corporate Drive
>     Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>     Phone: 518-881-4909 <tel:518-881-4909>
>

>     On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Pradeep Jha
>     <pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp <mailto:pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp>>
>     wrote:
>
>         I installed PV with OSMesa on a linux supercomputer. When I am running
>         "pvbatch --use-offscreen-rendering script_file.py", I get the
>         following error:
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         [fe02s01:15756] *** Process received signal ***
>         [fe02s01:15756] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
>         [fe02s01:15756] Signal code:  (128)
>         [fe02s01:15756] Failing at address: (nil)
>         [fe02s01:15756] [ 0] /lib64/libpthread.so.0 [0x357320eca0]
>         [fe02s01:15756] [ 1]
>         /home/hp120242/k00603/local/HH-1298/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1(glGetString+0xe)
>         [0x2b747e417cee]
>         [fe02s01:15756] *** End of error message ***
>         Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         What is going wrong? Is there any problem with the installation of my
>         Paraview with OSMesa support? This pvbatch works fine without
>         --use-offscreen-rendering option when I "ssh" with the "-X" option.
>
>         Thank you,
>         Pradeep
>

>         2013/1/31 Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com
>         <mailto:andy.bauer at kitware.com>>
>
>             Yes, you don't need OSMesa when there is graphics hardware
>             support. In that case though it will still pop up a render window
>             to create screen shots. OSMesa can still be used even if you have
>             graphics hardware support and is currently the only way to get
>             around having a window to render into.
>

>             On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Pradeep Jha
>             <pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp
>             <mailto:pradeep at ccs.engg.nagoya-u.ac.jp>> wrote:
>
>                 From the online resources I gathered that we need OSMesa only
>                 when there is no graphics hardware on the system. Ok, so I
>                 guess I need to install OSMesa and then compile Paraview again
>                 with OSMesa support?
>
>                 Please confirm.
>

>                 2013/1/30 Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com
>                 <mailto:andy.bauer at kitware.com>>

> [...]

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         | http://most.hmg.inpg.fr          |
|  Patrick BEGOU           |       ------------               |
|  LEGI                    | mailto:Patrick.Begou at hmg.inpg.fr |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35               |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71               |