[Paraview] ExtractSelection() and SelectionQuerySource() in Python shell

Antti Vanne antti.vanne at kuava.fi
Wed Jun 12 01:32:31 EDT 2013

Hi there,

I'm running Paraview 4.0 RC 2 and trying to make a selection from Python
shell. First I used the Find Data dialog with Python trace to get on track
and then do it all from the shell.

I have a Legacy VTK source with 2Tuple point data, and would like to
extract a selection based on the point data magnitude (Surface_pressure).
The following commands are given in the shell:

ex = ExtractSelection()

sqs = SelectionQuerySource( ProcessID=-1,
QueryString='mag(Surface_pressure) >= 100', HierarchicalIndex=-1,
FieldType='POINT', HierarchicalLevel=-1)
ex.Selection = sqs
Show()

but I get the following runtime exception

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<console>", line 1, in <module>

File
"/usr/local/ParaView-4.0.0-RC2-Linux-64bit/lib/paraview-4.0/site-packages/paraview/simple.py",
line 300, in Show

raise RuntimeError, "Could not create a representation object for proxy %s"
% proxy.GetXMLLabel()

RuntimeError: Could not create a representation object for proxy
SelectionQuerySource

The Python trace does not help as it does not show any proxy handling. Is
this a proxy issue or something else? Thanks.