[Paraview] CAVE + ParaView volume data visualization

Emiliano Pastorelli hogancito at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:23:28 EST 2013

Hi,

i'm trying to use paraview to visualize a nhdr+nrrd file representing
the CT of a cylinder of concrete containing metal fibers. The file is
definitely quite big, more or less 800x800x600, and what i need to do is
to find a threshold in the volume to highlight the fibers. So far so
good, i works, but defining it slow is not enough.

I thought my linux machine should be powerful enough, i have two 8-core
cpu, 4 nvidia quadro 4000, and 64 Gb of ram. When i run it on a single
machine (with mpirun -np 16), it's really slow in showing the volume,
thresholding and once thresholded in moving the fibers around.
But when i try to run it on two display, in a temporary CAVE test-setup,
it becomes so much slower, that to try to track the user on it becomes
almost useless, as every movement takes a few seconds to be made.

Now, what i noticed is that the CPU are shooting up to 100% as soon as i
deal with this datasets, but the graphic cards are almost unused (check
with nvidia-smi). The top i reached was one of them using 160Mb of RAM
(over 2 Gb available). Is that normal? I checked the ccmake i used and i
didn't even activate the mesa libraries, so paraview should be using the
nvidia drivers.

Any idea on what might be causing this slow-down? I mean, the dataset is
big, true, but i thought this machine was strong enough to support it!

Best,
Emiliano