[Paraview] Connecting to pvserver

Pradeep Jha pradeep.kumar.jha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 00:10:24 EST 2013

Hello,

I have some more fundamental questions. The graphics machine that I am
planning to use has 128 processors.  I have attached the /proc/cpuinfo and
/proc/meminfo output at the end of this email. I've installed the binary
version of paraview right now for testing.

If I simply execute the command "paraview" on command line, will it not tap
the full capacity of the machine?
When I run simply "paraview", does the machine just use processor out of
the 128 available or it uses all the available resources. Will it be more
efficient to run paraview using mpi on this machine (in which case I guess
I should install paraview from source)?

My regrets, but this is a different machine than that I mentioned in my
very first email. Here I am not using any clusters.

Pradeep

Information of the last processor in /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 127
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 46
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7560  @ 2.27GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 2266.812
cache size : 24576 KB
physical id : 7
siblings : 16
core id : 11
cpu cores : 8
apicid : 247
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx rdtscp lm
constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
bogomips : 4533.66
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64