[Paraview] reading binary 3d point data

Christian Richter christian.richter at ovgu.de
Sun Jan 13 06:20:28 EST 2013

Hi Adam,

I don't think Paraview has a native reader für xyz binary files.
I made a reader for the famous LAMMPS binary dump-file format (header +
rows containing x,y,z + special information like forces, mass and radius).

You can get the sourcecode here:
http://techblog.richtisoft.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/LIGGGHTS_PV_Plugins_src.zip
and a short discription of how to build it here:
http://techblog.richtisoft.de/?p=27 (part 2, same procedure in linux, in
both cases you need a self-compiled Paraview for the helper programms,
read the Plugin Section in the PV-wiki for a short introduction)

If you have a little bit c++ experince it is easy to adapt the binary
reader source to your column order (mainly remove header, adjust
columncount and remove unneded columns).

If you need more help please send me an example file and a little
donation to my paypal account and I can make the adjustments for you.

best,
Christian.