[Paraview] Using ParaView to render HDF5's image class data

"Tomislav Plazonić" tplazonic at etfos.hr
Sat Jan 12 05:12:46 EST 2013

Hello. I hope you are willing to give me feedback on this. I would be very
grateful with any general answer that might help me.

Using ParaView, I need to write a Python script that renders a given HDF5
file (the data inside is "CLASS=IMAGE", "IMAGE_VERSION=1.2"). The data
itself is a black and white satellite image.

Any suggestions on how can this be done?

I don't want to go in a direction that might be wrong and ending up
wasting a lot of time with no progress - which is why I am looking for
help in the first place. I have never worked with HDF before, but I did
read about it. Also, I have a basic Python knowledge.

First, I thought to somehow extract the data from an HDF5 file and use it
to create a render in ParaView, but since this data is an image data, I'm
lost - I don't know where to start. Should I use XDMF to describe the HDF5
file and get the data that way? If so, how to do it (how to describe an
image class data)?

I apologize if I wasn't specific enough. Please give me some feedback.
Thank you.

-- Tomislav Plazonić