[Paraview] Crash after loading a state with plots at time unequal zero

Christian Andreas christian.andreas at ipcms.unistra.fr
Fri Jan 4 14:34:29 EST 2013

Hello,
I wrote a paraview reader (paraview 3.14.1  64 bit - self compiled - on
a kubuntu linux machine )  for a custom file format using two outputs
with unstructured grid data as well as time dependency. As long as only
3D filters (clipping, contour, etc. ) are applied to the outputs, state
files can be saved and loaded again without problems.
Trouble starts, when I use 2D filters such as Histogram or Plot-Lines.
The filters can be applied, which results in the typical behavior of
Paraview such as  splitting of the view into a 3D and a 2D region. A
state file can be saved and the program works stable as long as the
state is open.
If I try to open a saved state file again it works if the state was
saved at t=0, which is the first time value. For higher time values
paraview crashes during the loading procedure with error message

X Error: BadColor (invalid Colormap parameter) 12
Major opcode: 1 (X_CreateWindow)
Resource id:  0x8200001

Some more observations:
1. While for the t=0 state files the layout is split into the 3d and the
2d region, it remains gray (without a 3D or 2D region) for state files
with t>0.
2. The error occurs after the RequestData of my reader and for a short
moment a window with the 2D data is shown on the screen as a decoupled
window.
3. I removed the Bar/line view and saved the state at t>0. In that case
the state can be loaded properly too.
4. There is no difference between using the first or the second output
of the reader as input for the Histogram.

I would be very happy if someone could give me a hint to solve this problem.

Best regards
Christian

--
Christian Andreas
IPCMS - Department of Magnetic Objets on the NanoScale (DMONS)

Phone : (33) 3 88 10 70 84
Fax : (33) 3 88 10 72 49