[Paraview] Connecting glyph filter with data

Michael Reuter reuterma at ornl.gov
Wed Jan 2 10:50:25 EST 2013

Hi,

     I have a plugin which I'm trying to get working in ParaView 3.98.
The source code for the plugin can be found here:
http://github.com/mantidproject/mantid/blob/6315_build_pv_398/Code/Mantid/Vates/ParaviewPlugins/ParaViewReaders/PeaksReader/vtkPeaksReader.cxx.
<https://github.com/mantidproject/mantid/blob/6315_build_pv_398/Code/Mantid/Vates/ParaviewPlugins/ParaViewReaders/PeaksReader/vtkPeaksReader.cxx>
After fixing function calls on the vtkPVGlyphFilter to get it to compile
(lines 96 and 97), the plugin crashes at the vtkGlyphFilter::Update()
call on vtkPoints::GetNumberOfPoints(). I checked the structuredMesh
(it's actually a vtkUnstructuredGrid) object used in the
vtkGlyphFilter::SetInputData() call and found that it does contain data
points (40 for the particular file I'm looking at).
     I did some digging about the vtkGlyphFilter::SetInputData() and
found that it no longer sets up a pipeline connection. I think this
might be the cause of the glyph filter not finding any data, but I'm
unsure. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to use
vtkGlyphFilter::SetInputConnection() and the structuredMesh object. Is
there anyway to make this work using the structuredMesh object or is the
best thing to make another plugin to create the structuredMesh and then
do vtkGlyphFilter::SetInputConnection(newPlugin->GetOutputPort()) and
remove the vtkGlyphFilter::SetInputData() call?

Thanks,

Dr. Michael Reuter
Data Analaysis and Visualization Group
Neutron Data Analysis and Visualization Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Office: 1-865-241-7216
Fax: 1-865-574-6080
Email:reuterma at ornl.gov