[Paraview] Parallel File Formats in Paraview/VTK

Luis Manuel de Vries luis.de.vries at amphos21.com
Wed Dec 4 04:48:21 EST 2013

Hi,

I know that Paraview supports many different file formats (
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:FAQ#What_file_formats_does_ParaView_support.3F
).
I know that the following parallel binary formats are among the ones
supported:
- VTK files (xml with zipped, binary data)
- ParaView data files
- HDF5 files (different formats)
- XDMF

What I would like to know is which format is best parallelized by
ParaView/VTK?
When using structured or unstructured grids (size in the range of tens of
gigabytes), does it
make sense to split up the file in different data sets manually? Or does
ParaView/VTK do this
automatically? Or does it depend on which of the above formats is used?
I have been using the PFLOTRAN HDF5 reader for a project (around 100
million cells), and it
did not behave very nicely so I was wondering if it would make sense in
converting the files.
Is there any difference in using XDMF (HDF5 + XML meta descriptions
if I understood correctly) or HDF5 directly within ParaView?

Thanks for the info,

Luis Manuel
---------------------------------
Luis Manuel de Vries

AMPHOS21
Passeig de Garcia i Faria, 49-51, 1-1
08019 Barcelona
Spain

Tel +34 935 830 500
Fax +34 933 075 928

*Luis.de.Vries at amphos21.com <Luis.de.Vries at amphos21.com>*
www.amphos21.com

[image: cid:image001.png at 01CA42C1.315780E0]
http://www.amphos21.com/disclaimer.php