[Paraview] viewing Gadget2 simulations

Tim Haines thaines at astro.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 30 18:26:44 EDT 2013

Greetings, all.

I am a PhD student in astrophysics at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison working on dynamics simulations with Gadget2. To test
my setup, I ran the galaxy collision simulation included with the
Gadget2 distribution, and generated a sequence of snapshots. I am trying
to view these snapshots in Paraview (3.98.0-enhanced 64-bit), but I
cannot see the position vector data. The object inspector only shows the
ghost, mass, tag, and velocity fields. Using the snapshot extraction
codes provided with the Gadget2 distribution, I was able to see that the
position data is indeed present in the snapshot files.

Has anyone had the problem before?

I have searched through the mailing list archives, read through the
user's manual, and read over the 2011 ApJ paper, all to no avail.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

- Tim