[Paraview] Write binary inline vtu file

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 29 12:20:59 EDT 2013

It looks like you're running afoul of VTK specific terminology. the
designers of the VTK XML file formats have done something confusing.
They called the format that uses base64 encoding(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64) "binary". There's an alternate
format that can use raw binary encoding called "appended" where data
arrays are stored at the end of the file. the "appended" format supports
either base64 or raw binary encoding, while the "binary" format only
supports base64.

This is documented in the file formats guide (
http://www.vtk.org/VTK/img/file-formats.pdf).

With your ascii formatted file you can use ParaView to generate examples
of the other formats. Load your ascii formatted file and then use
File->Save Data to save it as vtu in the desired format. I've done this
to help refresh my memory about this, see the attached.