[Paraview] Performance of the CGNS Reader

Angelini, Richard C (Rick) CIV USARMY ARL (US) richard.c.angelini.civ at mail.mil
Thu Aug 29 10:50:20 EDT 2013

As a followup to this that may be related - does the CGNS reader through the VisItBridge work in parallel?    I've loaded up a couple of different CGNS datasets and then applied the ProcessIDScalars filter and it doesn't appear to be distributing the data - even multi-block CGNS files.

________________________________
Rick Angelini

USArmy Research Laboratory
CISD/HPC Architectures Team
Building 120 Cube 315
Phone:  410-278-6266

From: paraview-bounces at paraview.org [paraview-bounces at paraview.org] on behalf of Richard GRENON [richard.grenon at onera.fr]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:38 AM
To: paraview at paraview.org
Subject: [Paraview]  Performance of the CGNS Reader

Hello.

I am testing the CGNS reader of Paraview 4.0.1 64 bits running on a
Linux Workstation having 4 CPUs and 5.8 Gbytes of memory. Paraview was
installed from the binaries available on the download page.

I am trying to load a 1.36 Gbytes CGNS file that is available through
the network.

While loading this file, the Paraview Windows is frozen and cannot be
refreshed, and I must check with the "ps" command on a terminal window
or with a system monitor if PV  is still running or if it is really
frozen. A progress bar for all readers would be welcome in a next release.

Finally, the file can be loaded, but it always takes about 15 mn (+ or -
1 mn depending of the load of the network), while Tecplot always loads
the same file within less that 1 mn !

How do you explain this poor performance of the CGNS reader ? Can it be
improved, or am I missing something ? Is there some Paraview option that
could reduce loading time of large files ?

Best regards

--
  Richard GRENON
  ONERA