[Paraview] NASA OVERFLOW reader

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Aug 12 19:51:29 EDT 2013

The Plot3D reader in 4.0 can read 32 bit and 64 bit Overflow files. Here
are the messages I sent to the Overflow mailing list a while ago:

Hi folks,

I am happy to report that there is now a robust Plot3D / Overflow reader in
ParaView that does automatic format detection for binary files. I am sorry
that it took this long. It was not the easiest reader to write. It works
with:

- Overflow files (any number of Q variables)
- Single and double precision real values
- C and Fortran output
- Big and little endian files
- ASCII and binary files
- Q file series for unsteady flows

I also developed a simple meta file format that supports xyz file series as
well as actual time values for each Q file (which is currently not
supported without the meta file - this is needed for accurate particle
advection). I am going to provide some documentation about this in the
ParaView Wiki soon.

You can test this out by downloading the development binaries:

Mac:
http://open.cdash.org/viewFiles.php?buildid=2873933
Linux:
http://open.cdash.org/viewFiles.php?buildid=2873792
Windows:
http://open.cdash.org/viewFiles.php?buildid=2873742

Please give it a try and let me know if you run into issues. If you would
like to wait for a stable release, ParaView 4.0 is scheduled to be released
early in May.

---------------------------------

I am happy to announce that ParaView now supports function files. There is
now support for pretty much the entire original Plot3D spec as well as
Overflow. Some of the new features are:

- Overflow files (any number of Q variables)
- Function files (any number of functions)
- Single and double precision real values
- C and Fortran output
- Big and little endian files
- ASCII and binary files
- XYZ and/or Q file series for unsteady flows and changing geometry
- More robust iblank support

XYZ file series require the use of a meta-file (p3d extension) as described
here:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPlot3DMetaReader.html#details

Best,
-berk